Friday, May 4, 2012

The End of Cake Decorating

So, I know I haven't updated in a while, but I started a new job and have been pretty busy between that and school, and everything else! But Cakes was such a fun class; I will say that my piping skills have improved, but as my teacher says, "it will only get better with practice practice practice!" So I have a long way to go before I feel comfortable making cakes professionally. It is true what many bakers say, it is much easier to work with fondant than it is with a buttercream frosting. However, it doesn't taste as good. So, I know I need to focus on practicing my buttercream covering on cakes. I have to say, I am pleased with my own creativity. If you've seen the cakes I posted, each one was designed by me, no one else!

Later on in May I will be starting summer classes. I'm taking an online Marketing class and the Advanced Bakeshop class. My teacher Chef Alan tells us this bakeshop focuses on chocolate, candies, pulled sugar work and chocolate work. It will be a challenge for me, and I dont' think that will be a big part of my business one day, but its a skill I need to know. Anyways, I hope everyone is looking forward to a good summer, I will do my best to keep you updated on my baking career.

BTW, my job is working at Camille's Sidewalk Cafe in downtown Greenville. It's a lot easier than my last job, and I work with girls close to my age. We mainly make sandwiches, wraps, and salads. Its a good environment to work in and hey, it pays the bills. Hopefully, when I finish my degree in December I can find a job somewhere getting baking experience. Thanks for reading and I'll post again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment