Friday, February 10, 2012

Midterm for Breads, Swans for Bakeshop

So, this is the halfway point for my two hands-on lab classes: artisan breads and bakeshop (baking 101). This week, I had to prepare, mix, knead, slash and bake three separate breads for my midterm. I was very nervous; we had designated stations to work both Monday and Tuesday for breads, and everyone was pretty quiet. Each person made a different group of breads. I made a rustic bread shaped like a boule (rounded sourdough look), a hazelnut and dried currant loaf in the shape of a betard (pics coming) and sourdough white in the shape of small club rolls. I was freaking out a little, but overall, my products turned out alright. Chef Pat told me to work on shaping the hazelnut bread better (its a pain to try to form that thing with all the nuts and currants poking through and burning your bread, leaving holes throughout it). And my slashes (cuts) in the bread could have been deeper and smoother. But, I had the rustic bread for my dinner, it wasn't bad. So far, I'm a pretty average student in the advanced baking breads class, and that is something I'm proud of (not all the students are that lucky).

In my bakeshop class, we didn't have a midterm, just another quiz (we take one every week). I am happy to report I got a 100% on it! Everyone struggled on the test, so I'm very pleased with myself. We started the class afterward with petit fours, eclairs, cookies, and making all the fondant and frostings. My team was responsible for making petit fours with a raspberry glaze in the center and white fondant on top (which I came in early to make which was fun) and piping on pink royal icing after. One of the other teachers hosted a tea party later that day, and we offered her some wonderful bites! My team also had to make a puff pastry shaped like swans. Pardon my French, but that was a bitch. We had to pipe the bodies and heads separate the day before, bake them immediately and let them sit overnight. The next day, we cut part of the bodies off, split that extra piece into two, and put Creme Chantilly into the base of the bird's body, using the two pieces as wings. Then, we carefully placed the heads into the middle (all was held by the creme). Sorry I don't have pictures, but sometimes, when you do something for hours and you finish it and everything is done, you never want to see it again! Well, at least it was good experience and Chef Alan said our team had the hardest things to do, and we did it beautifully.

I just want to say, I love my teachers, and I think they really like me. It's such a big change from growing up and going to school; I feel like I get so much out of class, taking notes, and have a great relationship with all the teachers (and the students for the most part). I think I've impressed many with my work ethic, not all the students are as devoted to cleaning to the best of their ability whilest in class. But I love it still, I love my life, my friends, and yes, if you've heard, my new boyfriend Steven. Shoot me an email if you have any questions, but for now, I'll leave yall some bread pictures. Next weekend I'm going to Colombia to shadow my roommate's grandmother who decorated cakes for a living. My piping skills suck and I need the help. So have a great Valentine's Day!

-the improved baker

No comments:

Post a Comment